Research Health Data Gateway
Easy and fast access to health data enables more and better research!
This website will provide you with an overview of available health data and the entire application process: from initial idea to final application. You will also find information on application requirements and regulatory approval as well as guidelines to facilitate your application process.
For decades, we have collected health data on more than 10 million Danes. We must use these data to gain new knowledge and develop new treatment methods and medicines that can save lives or increase the quality of life for people affected by disease or living with chronic illness.
Get your research started quickly
The Research Health Data Gateway aims to provide easy and transparent access to health data for researchers. On this website, you will find:
- An overview of available health data
- Application process information and guidance
- Instructions on how to correctly prepare an application
- Links to apply for access to and use of health data or approval from relevant authorities
Overview, guidance and access to apply for health data
The need for information and guidance depends on the specific project and your research and data collection experience. The Research Health Data Gateway consists of three independent functions, which you can use in any order you require:
- The Metadata Map is a nationwide online catalogue of available data from the Danish National Health Registers. You can use the Metadata Map to search for and compare available data from the Danish Health Registers to gain insight into which data sources are most suitable for your research project.
- The “Application” page provides you with an overview of which authorities to apply to, depending on data type. The page also holds information about application requirements, including requirements for documentation and approval from the appropriate authority.
- The “Guidance” page contains information about the application process as well as the contact details of relevant authorities and data controllers. You can also find information on how to link data across multiple data controllers or how to collect the necessary approvals for your application.
No research without data
The Research Health Data Gateway is a collaboration between the Danish Ministry of Health and Danish Regions aiming to enable more and better research in Denmark.
More and new features
The Research Health Data Gateway is still being developed. Over the next years, we will add more features to the website. This will, among other things, include a shared application portal enabling researchers and others to apply for access to health data across administrative entities at government and regional level. We expect to launch the Metadata Map in 2022 when more registries have been added. Stay updated on the development of the Research Health Data Gateway here.